In the UK, the end of October marks the point in the year where the dark nights start to creep in, and with it, the cold weather that serves as a conversational backdrop to the next few months. For teaching professionals and school administrators, it marks the beginning of the end for that long first term. But the weather is not the only reason that qualified teachers are considering a move overseas.
In April 2022, the National Education Union surveyed its members. 1,788 respondents participated, and the results make for stark reading. 44% of England’s state-school teachers plan to quit by 2027. Half of those (22%) intend to leave within two years. When asked, the workload was the overwhelming motivation for 65% of teachers in English state schools who expect to go within two years.
The profession, in the UK at least, is struggling. Struggling to recruit new talent, and to retain it once it is in post. According to the same research, schools struggle to fill vacant posts, leading to a doubling up of roles. 73% of teachers say this has worsened since the start of the pandemic.
Leaving the profession is certainly one option. But another is to take your sought-after skillset and use it in another part of the world.
UK-trained, qualified teachers, with 3+ years of experience are ideally placed to take advantage of global opportunities in some of the very best international schools around the world.
January/February is the perfect time to start applying for international teaching jobs! With the end of the school year now in sight, many schools overseas are looking to fill their teaching positions as soon as possible.
Teaching abroad offers a unique and life-changing experience that can benefit you both professionally and personally.
Here are 8 benefits of teaching abroad but remember, this list isn’t exclusive!
- Immersion in a new culture: Teaching abroad allows you to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of the world around you. Living and working in a different culture provides an incredible opportunity to learn a new language, improve your communication skills, and expand your palate.
- Career advancement: International teaching experience is highly valued by employers and can open up new career opportunities. Not only will you gain valuable teaching experience, but you’ll also have the opportunity to build your resume and network with others in the education field from all around the world.
- Professional development: Teaching abroad exposes you to different teaching styles and methods, allowing you to develop new skills and improve your teaching practice. When you teach abroad, you’ll be pushed out of your comfort zone in the best possible way.
- Personal growth: The challenges and experiences of living abroad can help you develop valuable life skills such as adaptability, independence, empathy, and resilience. You will be challenged in unexpected ways, and in turn, will see yourself through a new lens.
- Travel opportunities: Teaching abroad gives you the chance to explore different countries and cultures while also earning a living.
- Financial benefits: Many international teaching jobs offer competitive salaries and benefits, in some geographies, the package might include free housing, school places, gym memberships, and airfare.
- Make a difference: As a teacher, you have the unique ability to make a real difference in the lives of your students. When you teach abroad, you’ll be able to share your culture, knowledge and skills with students who may not have access to education. This is an incredible opportunity to make a lasting impact on someone’s life.
- Life-long memories: International teaching is an adventure that you will never forget, and the memories and experiences you create with new-found friends and family, will stay with you for a lifetime.
Take advantage of this opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of students and experience the world in a new way. Start applying for international teaching jobs now!
How to apply for an international teaching position with Compass Teaching
To apply for a teaching job with Compass Teaching, simply register on our website and submit your CV.
Once your CV is received, one of our experienced recruiters will be in touch to discuss your specific requirements and preferences. We’ll then start the search for your perfect role, matching you with schools that fit your needs. It’s as simple as that.
Why not take a look at what’s on offer? You can view the various positions we have across the world by visiting our vacancies page.
To register, simply complete your details on our registration page. You can also contact a friendly member of the team at email@example.com.
If you’re ready to take your teaching career to the next level, start by registering on Compass Teaching today!