Here is a list of our most frequently asked questions.

And if you still have questions, contact us at

The good news is, it is very straightforward!  Do register your CV on our website and one of our consultants will be in touch to discuss your profile as well as any suitable posts with you.

This will vary, but as a general rule, you will require Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), a degree in your subject, or a B.Ed. for Primary teachers. Schools will often ask for 3 years of experience though a number of the schools we work with do welcome Early Career Teachers (ECT’s) – see specific question below. Usually the experience and qualifications required for any given post will be detailed on the advertisement on our website.

Once Compass has had a screening discussion with you on specific roles, we will put your CV forward for any roles of interest to you.  If our client (the school) is interested in your profile, we will arrange for the school to interview you.  If successful, the school will proceed with further interviews or make an offer of employment.  On accepting the offer, we then help you gather the required documents for your visa (if required), in time to take up employment at the start of your contract.

Depending on where you are going to teach geographically, you will require certified copies of your degree certificate and teaching qualification as well as ….

(to be completed)

Schools start to share their upcoming vacancies usually from November onwards and posts continue to become available throughout the year. The bulk of posts are advertised between November and February for a September start but there are also immediate starts for certain clients too.

In general yes, international schools welcome teaching couples and families.  However, it is more difficult to find two posts in the same school and not all international schools have the required provision for every family.  They tend to offer at least one place free of charge for dependents and often more, though this does depend.

Teaching contracts tend to be for 2 years and are renewable though they are sometimes for just 12 months.

References are important and you will require at least one reference from your current school (preferably from the Headteacher) and a reference from a previous school.  We will not contact referees without your approval and it is worthwhile having referees in mind who will provide a solid reference for you.

This varies from one country to another and from one school to another.  All international schools tend to cover your flights and medical insurance as well as your visa costs.  Some provide accommodation as part of the package or a contribution towards your accommodation.  Dependent places end to be included and often a gratuity at the end of your contract.

We would be happy to speak to you further about packages.

Yes, a number of our schools welcome ECT’s to complete your training.  If you are an ECT and you are interested in a career in international teaching, please do contact us.

Yes, they do and will be more than happy to provide you with information on their CPD.

International Teaching Roles: Unlocking Opportunities for Leadership

Skip to content